A Year of Awareness

This article is about the Year of the Arts and how that ties in with the new building, Mr. Pantoja, and students.

AURORA, CO  –  Imagine someone standing up at lunchtime and yelling out a sonnet that he wrote. He gets sent to the principal’s office, and the principal asks him why he did it. He responds, “This year is the Year of the Arts, and I wanted to express myself,”. He gets off scot-free.

This year especially at RJHS, we’re having a prominent event which goes by the name of “The Year of the Arts”. Started by an anonymous donor, this event allows students to express themselves in any form of art.

The Year of the Arts is a year of awareness. A year to find art everywhere in our lives. “You don’t have to be so called an artist, to be an artist,” As Aldo Pantoja, the Theatre Director, puts it. You don’t have to be a painter or a musician to be an artist. “The regular things you do in your life can be art.” Pantoja proclaims passionately. And as Senior John Brock puts it, “-it’s about seeing art everywhere in our lives, similar to how Jesuits see god everywhere in their lives.”

Although that being said, the people who are considered artists (Drawers, Guitarists, will probably try to step it up a bit and participate more). Many students already are seeing art in their daily lives. “I enjoy the concept of having a school specific event where we learn to see art in different things other than medium on canvas,” Says Freshman Xavier Ribota. “It’s nice to have us non-artists be recognized for what other talents we have.” All students have the chance to participate and student John Brock doesn’t want to miss out on this great opportunity. “-I’m thinking of throwing in another performance thing, I cant give you any details right now though, but I will tell you that I’m hosting it, and it will be a surprise.”

This broadens our spectrum of people who want to enroll here at Regis Jesuit. Now instead of primarily being recognized for sports, Regis Jesuit could be recognized for the Year of the Arts inviting more Thespians, Musicians, and Artists. “If you build it, they will come,” Pantoja quotes.

At the end of the Year we’re going to have something to show for what we’ve done. “It will be really interesting to see how we measure that,” declared Pantoja.

One of the most recognized celebrators of the Year of the Arts is the Theater Department, and hopefully more parents and students will come to see their commemorations toward The Year of the Arts.

Pantoja is very excited on how we’re going to celebrate the occasion this year. To kick it off in the theater department, he plans to host a Rock Opera play, something that Regis Jesuit has never done before. This opens up theater to more than just actors, it invites singer and dancers too. This is the perfect time to celebrate this momentous year-long event also because of the new Theater. In fact, half of the cast for Jesus Christ Superstar are Freshman and Sophomores. Jesus Christ Superstar is acting as a stamp to show that Art has always been important to us. But something different this year, is that Pantoja is going to make any student eligible for a free ticket to the show in honor of the Year of the Arts. And in addition to that, he’ll be allowing anyone who considers themselves as an artist of any sort to get into the show absolutely free. Of course this is a way for liars and cheaters to get free tickets as well, but with many people getting in for free already, why not?

JSC Rehearsals

Then, to open it up to more of the non-theater related population, the Drama Club, pit band, cast and crew of theater performed a flash mob that happened in the PAC during lunch on Sep 18.  “ I think it’s a great way to get people motivated,“ Says John Brock, who was a participant in the flash mob.

In the Regis Jesuit Superstar cast, there are 19 freshman, 13 sophomores, 5 juniors, and 6 seniors. That’s a 32:11 Rookies Vs. Veterans ratio. I believe that the large amount of rookies is due to this year being the first year of the Year of the Arts.

“The Year of the Arts was started by an anonymous donor who wanted to make this year a year of awareness. Mainly, how can we find art in our lives everywhere.” -Aldo Pantoja 

YoA-Logo-v.2