RJ Celebrates Creativity In The Arts

The cast and crew of Jesus Christ Superstar performs a flash mob on the steps of the PAC lobby at lunch.

The ‘Year of the Arts’ dares to prove that the world around us is a canvas for our imagination. It empowers students by introducing them to new forms of self expression.

When we think of the vague three letter word, “art,” what comes to mind is typically drawing, music, or theater. But Mr. Sean Powers, SJ, who leads this new initiative, explains that it’s so much more.

“Everyone has some kind of gift for creativity,” he says. “It might show itself in mathematics, it might show itself in a sports game, but the hope is that in one way or another, throughout your time at Regis Jesuit, students can really come to understand that what I’m doing is creative, that what I’m doing is imaginative.”

This new project is not just about supporting the art programs as we think of them today, it’s about finding artistry in everything we do here at Regis Jesuit.

FullSizeRender
Freshman Xavier Ribota thinks about his next computer coding move.

“We want to have people who aren’t familiar with the arts, maybe aren’t comfortable with the arts, to be a part of this as much as someone who is a traditional painter or musician or actor,” Mr. Powers says.

Freshman Xavier Ribota sees the artistry in his passion, computer concepts. “Coding translates my thoughts in a way words can’t,” he says. “It’s this language that says everything I’m feeling.”

Drake Morley, also a freshman, is fascinated with science. “In science, you can discover the wonder in the world,” he says. “It makes you think about who the first artist was, the first creator.”

The school’s new Performing Arts Center, with its state-of-the-art classrooms and 485 seat theater, is the perfect place for this creativity to come alive.

Since it’s opening earlier this year, the PAC has become one of the most crowded areas on campus. During any break, it becomes nearly impossible to navigate through the sea of people laughing and talking. In the chaos, imagination runs wild.

Just last month, the cast and crew of Jesus Christ Superstar surprised students on the first floor lobby of  the PAC by breaking out into a flash mob. During lunch the next day, the Jazz Band gave a concert on the lawn, stopping students in their tracks.

On Friday November 21st, Regis Jesuit will host “The Power of The Dream,”  where faculty and alumni can share their talent and passion for the arts. Tickets are only $7.50 and all profits go to scholarships.

Candice Bergeron, who graduated in ’06, will be in attendance. The RJ alum is set to star in Enduring Grace, a profound ballet set to Tchaikovky’s transcending score “Serenade for Strings.” The dance company Wonderbound partnered with the Colorado Symphony Orchestra to bring the classic piece to life (you can buy tickets on their website).

YOA is about making every voice heard. Throughout the year, the club will host band concerts, flash mobs, film festivals, and more to give students an outlet to express themselves.

Whether performing in Jesus Christ Superstar or playing in next weeks football game, the program encourages students to pursue their passion and to acknowledge the creativity in what they love.

FullSizeRender
Freshman Drake Morley finds art and creativity in the study of science.

To find out more about upcoming events, or if you want to suggest an idea of your own, check out the YOA Activities Page on RJ’s website.

Art is everywhere on campus. Now it’s about making that art come alive.

YoA-Logo-v.2
Part of Regis Jesuit’s 2014-2015 Year of the Arts