Tech, Tech, Tech: Introducing the STEM Center

The “Cage” Photo By: Stephen Haag

The 2014 – 2015 school year is well underway, and so is the launch of the new Science Technology Engineering and Math (STEM) Center. The Raider Shop previously located in the Boys Division merged with the Girls Division Raider shop in the new building last spring. This allowed for the BD space to be repurposed into a new home for STEM at Regis Jesuit.

“The STEM Center is the technology hub” said robotics captain Christopher Morroni. It will be the new home for the robotics team, technology club and many other student functions.

Read more about the Robotics Team here.

The door is always open during off periods. If you walk by during the day you will see students bustling about.

The new space will provide opportunity and functionality Regis Jesuit needed, especially with the introduction of the iPad program this year. The STEM Center is a resource every student now has to seek help with any form of technology.

The iPad program introduced many new challenges to the students this year, requiring them to be technologically literate. “The STEM Center will help the community learn to use technology effectively” said junior Harrison Leader.

Technology teacher Mr. Heidenry envisioned a dream space dedicated to tech. His dream is now a reality for the stuent body.

“Being student led if students are interested in projects they are welcome to approach us and we can support them in any sort of tech project they want to do,” explained Mr. Heidenry, “We can even try to help them get funding, give them a space to work in, and if we don’t have the proper leadership we will see what alums and parents we can get in to help with that. So it’s not just limited to what we have.”

The new space is a great improvement for the robotics team. They are now able to meet, plan and work on campus.

“We finally have a space of our own to work and build” said senior Teddy Hatley.

Although the curriculum will not change immediately due to the STEM Center, many after school classes will be taught through the center. Classes in programing, CAD and computer building will run throughout the year.

Regis Jesuit has introduced many new functional spaces to their campus recently. The STEM Center will provide great opportunity and resources for the students to pursue their ideas.

Read more about the Robotics Team here.