Dear Freshman

To the Class of 2024: We have a little over a month until school starts! We may not be sure what that looks like yet, but I definitely hope you all get to walk through the doors of Tradition Hall and experience the love and community that Regis Jesuit has to offer in person. Being a freshman this year is going to be different. You may be feeling nervous, excited, or maybe a little of both as you start your high school journey during this unorthodox school year. From my experience, much of the new senior class is feeling those very same emotions. It can be difficult to reckon with all of the usual Back to School thoughts--like what you are going to wear or what classes you will be taking--with all of the turmoil in our world right now. In order to help guide you through the rest of the summer and the beginning of freshman year, the upperclassmen have decided to share a series of advice letters with you. We will share some of the things we wish we had known when we were freshmen and some of our favorite parts of Regis Jesuit. We hope that you find them useful.

July 13, 2020

Dear+Freshman

Dear Freshman, 

Here is a list of some advice I wish I would’ve known coming into RJ: 

1. Mindset is everything. 

When you walk into a new environment or situation, know that how you view everything is how you will experience it. Instead of looking at a situation as half-empty, look at it as half full. (Or even just as a glass of water.) I know from experience that not everything is as bad as you think it will be or was. How you look back on everything will be shaped by the way you viewed it. This is one of the most important pieces of advice, especially with these weird times. None of us really know what’s going to happen, so just remember we are all in this together. 

2. Smile and Wave 

Going into Regis, I didn’t know anyone in my division. As a naturally shy person, I felt like I couldn’t approach people. I sat alone during lunch sometimes for the first few weeks. It wasn’t any fun. 

If I could go back and change one thing from freshman year, it would be to make sure I smiled and waved more. When you do these two things, you’ll be congenial and have an easier time meeting people and making friends. 

3. Friends will change  

You might not stick with your friends from middle school. Don’t feel like you need to be with the same people all the time. It’s important to embrace change and go with the flow. I can’t tell you how many times my friend group changed throughout my freshman year. You will eventually find your people, but it might take some trial and error. 

4. It’s okay if you don’t know what you’re doing. 

You don’t have to play soccer for ten years to try out for the team. If soccer is calling your name, go for it! If any club or sport is piquing your interest, try it out!  It’s better to see what happens when you do something rather than nothing. That being said… 

5. You might fail. 

You’re bound to fail at some point in your life. If you don’t, it means you never challenged yourself. Whether it’s a test, audition, or try out, it might not go as you planned. These moments are what help build character. In the future, you’ll be able to look back on that one embarrassing moment and see how much you’ve grown. 

6. Lay off dating because it won’t last. Just be friends.

Let’s be real, I don’t think any of you want to be a child bride (or groom). However, if you do decide to date, don’t take it too seriously.   

7. Be friends with your teachers. (But don’t kiss up.) 

Your teachers are there for you. If you need help, don’t be afraid of going in to see them during academic support. They want to see you succeed.

8. When there’s too much drama at school, all you gotta do is walk away-yay-yay.

(Vine reference, anyone?) 

9. High school isn’t the end-all and be-all to life. 

When you meet someone new in life, the first question they ask you is usually not about your GPA or how many parties you had in high school. You won’t be forever known because of what you did in high school. Remember that when you’re being peer pressured or feeling like you’re missing out.

Yours truly, 

Sabrina Vizurraga ‘22 

View Comments(1)

RJ MEDIA NOW • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Comments (1)

All RJ MEDIA NOW Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

• H

Haven WilsonJul 14, 2020 at 8:42 pm

This was good advice. I disliked the vine reference, however I feel this will help ease the anxiety of starting something new.

Reply
1