By Nolan Whitmore ’20
We all have heard of how breakfast is the most important meal of the day, whether you eat a balanced and healthy breakfast everyday or you just don’t eat breakfast, breakfast has a surprising affect on the outcome of your day. Whether you are fasting for wrestling to stay in your weight class or simply maintaining your well defined abs, eating breakfast can help you in both these situations.
When you eat breakfast you are telling your body that you have plenty of calories to burn today, you essentially kick-start your metabolism. One the other hand, people who tend to skip breakfast has a slower metabolism and tend to hold onto calories meaning they gain more weight and hold onto weight. This applies to the situations above because in order to stay in your weight class for wrestling you have to eat breakfast in order to start your metabolism and keep from gaining weight. In order the keep those coveted abs you have to eat in order to get rid of extra calories your body holds onto.
Other benefits to eating breakfast may include but are not limited to:
- Better attention span
- Ability to retain information increased
- Consuming less fat through the day
- Meeting recommendations for fruit and vegetable consumption
- Having higher daily calcium intake
- Having higher daily fiber intake
- Tend to leads to better grades
What to eat in order to have a healthy and hearty breakfast:
- High-fiber cereal with fresh fruit and low-fat milk or soy or rice milk substitute
- Low-fat protein shake with fresh/frozen fruit
- High-fiber toast or bagel with tablespoon of peanut butter
- Select protein bar and yogurt or a glass of milk
- Fresh fruits
Breakfast is hands down the most important meal of the day because whether you want to lose weight, maintain a healthy mind and attitude, maintain weight, get fit, or get good grades, eating a well balanced breakfast is the first and most important step for you to achieve these goals and more.