Colby Jaramillo: Freshman To Varsity Football

Colby Jaramillo, a freshman who suited up varsity last season, has some big responsibilities that he will have to face in the near future. Playing varsity as an underclassmen is a great achievement for Colby, as him and several other underclassmen will have a lasting impact on the future of RJ football. Commenting on next season’s roster, Colby stated “We’re losing quite a few players, but I don’t think that it will affect us too much. We’re losing a lot of good players for sure but we also have some sophomores that will be stepping up next season”.
Colby, along with several other freshman, were asked to move up to varsity due to their outstanding skill, and to also get a preview of what varsity football looks like here at Regis Jesuit. Last years’ season ended abruptly when Regis lost to Pomona 24 to 7 in a playoff game. Despite this loss haunting the varsity team, Colby and his team are optimistic for next season and hope to take the state title.
The initial change from freshman team to varsity was one of the hardest parts for Colby, however. “With freshman, you would start practice around 4 and then you’d go to 6 o’clock. And with varsity you would go from as soon as school ends up until around 8 o’clock…” stated Colby. These long practices and film sessions caused a difficult transition for the freshman, but it was for the better and they learned quite a bit about varsity through these practices.
Although these athletes were underclassmen and suited up, they are still part of the team and are treated as members of the team. They showed up to practice and stayed with the team through thick and thin. Colby and the other freshmen have a bright future ahead of them and are ready to contribute to the varsity football team.