Coed Classes at Regis Jesuit

Regis Jesuit is well known for the single gender environment it provides in the classroom. The single gender environment has been credited as a very important feature at Regis, that helps students of both genders thrive.

However, there are some classes that require both boys and girls to thrive. Acting for instance dimly wouldn’t work with only one gender. Although single gender classrooms are a bit of an oddity at regis, the initial feedback is positive.
“I’d say that if you go your whole high school career with only single gender classes, it’s not going to help you in the long run, but mixed gender classes help you.” said Justin Martin. It’s feedback like this that makes us wonder if co ed classes are the future of regis jesuit.
Students all over regis have pushed for an increased number of Co ed classes, with very few students opposing the idea. “I think we need more, because girls add a lot to the learning experience.” said Ethan Buege. All around the high school community, single gender schools are incorporating co ed classes.
However, there are still some who say a completely single gendered environment is the best direction to go. According to the National Association for Choice in Education, Boys scoring proficient increased from 37% to 86%, while girls increased from 59% to 75%. So while co ed classes don’t negatively affect girls as much as boys, the affects are significant for both.
For schools that are contemplating whether or not to add a coed element, and parents alike, the question will continue to be asked. Do the benefits out way the consequences? Is being socially behind a worthy sacrifice for a better education in the long run?