Bullying Prevention

Bullying is not like it used to be. Bullying is not only physical and mental anymore, it is also done with the use of technology. International best selling author, Barbara Coloroso, founder of Kids Are Worth It, travels and speaks to large audiences about bullying and harassment, and how to prevent it.

“The problem in a bullying situation is not always just the bully its also the victim and the bystander,” Coloroso said in a phone interview.

Coloroso says the bystander needs to be aware of their surroundings and what is happening around them. For example, if you see bullying going on then, you should step in either by telling the bully that it is wrong or you need to tell an adult about what is going on immediately.

According to Pew Research, 19 percent of kids, ages 12-17 say they have experienced bullying either on or offline in the past year, and about 8 percent say they experienced bullying online.

Ben Poletti is a sophomore at Regis Jesuit High School in Aurora, Colorado.

“[In middle school] there were many groups of kids that picked on certain groups of kids and it was commonly seen. When I was bullied I just tried to ignore it . I just thought that I need to worry about me and they can worry about themselves,” Poletti said.

Poletti was bullied throughout his entire middle school career. He was bullied physically, mentally, and bullied with the use of technology.

According to Cyberbullying Research Center, Cyberbullying is similar to other types of bullying, except it takes place online and through text messages sent to cell phones. Cyberbullies can be classmates, online acquaintances, and even anonymous users, but most often they do know their victims. Most people try to ignore their bullies but don’t always succeed.

According to Cyberbullying Research Center, an anonymous Facebook user joined a page called “Bathroom Walls.” Going into this page she thought it would be great. After a month or so she released she was very wrong.

“I remember quite clearly feeling horribly alone and i hope it’ll never happen again.”

This is a major case of cyberbullying that was reported. Many cases are reported daily. One million kids are bullied every week, inside and outside of school according to Beat Bullying.org.

There are many cases of this. After the suicide of Hannah Smith in Lutterworth, England, her father posted about the tormenting she experienced on the site. In response to the outcry, the site announced changes that would allow users to block questioners and to make it easier to report abuse.

“A one time act isn’t usually bullying but if it continues to happen then it is bullying. To stop it you need to have a strong bullying program in place,” Coloroso said.

At Regis Jesuit High School there is a strong program to prevent bullying. Side by Side aims to educate students on being aware and to stop bullying. Regis Jesuit Ms. Marsha Caldwell is one of leaders of the program.

“I see the pain and stress it causes these students, so I felt we had the opportunity to make our school a better place. It was a necessary thing to do,” Caldwell said.

Caldwell is one of the leaders of the Side by Side program and is growing.  This program has really helped the community Caldwell says.

“It is allowing kids to be more aware of their surroundings and what is going on in their surroundings,” Caldwell said.

If you are suffering from a bullying situation, don’t be afraid to come and talk to someone you trust, Dana Bauer, another Regis Jesuit counselor, says.

Bauer says that you need to know who your friends are and gain their trust, so if you’re dealing with situations like bullying, you have someone that respects you and helps you through anything you need help with.

Although bullying has changed over the years, it is still a major issue in the community. Although bullying has moved from physical to to more of a mental and technological way, it effects people, no matter what type it is.

“Talk to people that you feel comfortable around, and comfortable in talking to. So they can get the support they want, so they can feel conformable going to school everyday,” Caldwell said.