Vaccines are treasures, not trash

Trusting solutions to 2020’s biggest problem

A medical professional handles a vaccine (Qapta)

The entire world is reeling in the face of COVID-19. Many people’s lives have been permanently changed, or for others, taken from them. A COVID-19 vaccine is seemingly going to spell the end to the health crisis, but will everyone be able to accept it, especially parents of students who will be returning to in-person education?

Vaccination, especially in the modern age of social media, has become a debated topic in terms of its effectiveness. Despite the process being around for decades and proven safe, a surprisingly large amount of people claim otherwise and abstain from vaccines altogether. A vocal portion of this group are parents of children, particularly students, whose school districts have mandated vaccines for years with many parents staunchly opposing this requirement.

All students, regardless of education level, age or affiliations, should be vaccinated.

Vaccines are a substance that injects either extremely weak or dead cells of certain viruses in hopes that the immune system of the affected is capable of building specific defenses for the disease. While some patients do suffer minor cramps as a result of vaccines, the benefits far out way the potential consequences of taking vaccines.

Vaccines have completely ended dozens of fatal and contagious diseases such as polio, tetanus, rubella, and measles. Denying vaccines is providing these diseases an opportunity to resurge, such as the measles outbreak in Seattle, and pose a serious threat, especially to those who are must vulnerable, like the elderly or the immunocompromised person sitting right next to you in class.

Vaccines have been widely accepted as a necessary medical treatment, reform and innovation. Many governments, as well as international organizations, have declared their support and usage of the process of vaccination for years, further solidifying the validity of the practice. In fact, former U.S. presidents Barack Obama, Bill Clinton and George Bush have said they would record their vaccinations on camera.

A common misconception about vaccines is that they have many harmful chemicals, some of which cause defects like autism in their recipients. Ever since vaccines were introduced in the late 18th century, many of these harmful chemicals, such as gelatin, have been completely removed from doses. Others, such as thimerosal, a mercury-based preservative, or formaldehyde, are contained in such diminutive quantities that they have no effect of patients.

Vaccines are a major scientific advancement and benefit to humanity, doing so much good with only minor side effects. All students, regardless of circumstances, should be required to get it

No amount of personal grudge, judgment or accusations should instill a sense of unease about the subject of vaccination. Vaccines are an incredibly safe and rich resource that we must utilize to its fullest potential in order to ensure a more secure future.

Social media for years has festered a completely fictional and consistently debunked belief that oppose vaccines, and some religious organizations follow suit. Vaccines are a vital gatekeeper against deadly and harmful diseases, and our Regis Jesuit value of standing with the most vulnerable reflects that, which is why it is so important to receive it.