New Service Hours Opportunities during Covid-19 Pandemic

A new way to finish your service hours in the comfort of your own home.

It’s February, and most of the student body hasn’t completed their required service hours yet. With only 4 months left to complete 10-25 hours, you’re in a crunch. However, did you know service hours are more than just something your mom insists will look good on your resume? They can lead to new friends, new interests, and if your lucky- maybe a life long career. Different from previous years, acquiring service hours in the midst a pandemic can be hard.

During this pandemic, being bored is no stranger. While social media and videotaping usage have seen an uptick during the pandemic, service is an opportunity most people have not considered or have thought to be too dangerous. Jennifer Chesak, a journalist from Healthline.com, argues this doesn’t have to stop us from working with and for others.

“Physical distancing doesn’t have to prevent us from making a difference for those who need it most,” Chesak emphasized.

Although lots of in-person volunteer opportunities have been discontinued this year, there are still ways to make a difference! Every few weeks to months Cristina Ortiz, our Regis Jesuit service coordinator sends students a list of ways to get hours in. Many in the comfort of you’re their own homes, like making holiday cards for veterans and seniors!

Some students have even been able to make a difference in the mental health arena, something particularly affected by the pandemic.

“I volunteer for Crisis Text Line because practicing empathy and reflective listening makes me a better friend, partner, and employee,” Becki Cohn-Vargas, a Crisis Line volunteer, said.

Those who have participated in this type of service say the benefits – to you and those you help – are great.

“Volunteering online lets you donate your virtual time to a cause or space that matters, which means you can make a difference even if you can’t go physically volunteer somewhere,” interviewed student from DoSomething.org, Akid Menjivar said.

Volunteer work being done during the Covid-19 pandemic. (Any Cross, The Denver Post)