The Loudest Statement is something you don’t make.

Although regis made a statement about george floyd, there’s been a noticeable silence after the atlanta shooting and other race related violence.

Throughout the 2020-2021 school year there have been many racial related acts such as, the rise in asian hate, many police brutality murders, etc. There has been a pattern of inconsistency when it comes to big racial issues. Regis has been silent when POC-related violence happens. When the Boulder shooting happened, Regis sent out a whole email dedicated to the victims and the police officer of the shooting, yet they have had no response to the the rise asian hate crimes and racially motivated acts that have been happening for a year beyond a prayer in the morning announcements.  The use of the n word is normalized across Regis, with a freshman student saying the derogatory term just this semester. Regis’ choice to not release statements as a first step reflects that it does not its students of color.

While a statement is not enough, it’s important for a step that signals support for the community, connects students to resources, ways to support, and gives us a standard to hold RJ to. 

In the thought of support for the community, Regis needs to do better they have not shown they stand with students of color, and just people of color in general. With the lack of statements and the lack of interest/care when someone says a slur, we need to hold the accountable. Regis could send out an email of petitions, organizations, and even locate poc owned businesses to show their support.

While regis fights its backlash from doing very little when it comes to racially motivated acts, they could issue an apology to the students of color. While on the topic of apology Regis could also try harder to make more diverse clubs and classes to educate students to try and make poc students feel more comfortable. Regis is all about diversity but only when it comes to numbers, the percentage of diversity makes them look good.

Many students have sent emails trying to get Regis to do better, we’ve seen the standard RJ holds itself at, as students try and voice their opinion and set a standard by themselves help from staff that actually care about racially motivated acts in and out of the school could help raise the students voices. Or at least talk to admin so it would be adult to adult.

Admin and staff are trying their hardest when it comes to diversity and making students of color feel safe and welcomed. We make sure to take action right away when a racial slur, racially motivated event, or any statement of that matter occurs. Emails have been sent out, as well in morning prayer, addressing racial violence and so on. While they say they stand in solidarity, many students feel like there isn’t any change or action taking place. With the racially motivated comments, slurs being said in the hauls, even students with blue live matter flags on their backpacks. Regis has not taken much or any action on any of these topics at all. 

As racial violence goes on, students will and still voice their opinions on how regis can do better, whether it’s through email, in person, or even an anonymous post on social media. 

While a statement is not enough, it’s a baseline Regis needs to set if it wants to have any credibility with its BIPOC students, staff, and families.