Connections Made To Last

Field Hockey Relationships Between Coaches and Players

With a season postponed due to COVID-19 and CHSSA regulations, Field Hockey finally got their day on the field in March. All three teams proved they were ready to conquer this season by winning their first games.

Despite the challenges presented this season, Coach Leah Malm, math teacher, felt rewarded with the relationships she made outside the classroom.

“In math class especially it’s usually just talking about math and numbers so I don’t really get to learn about student’s life’s outside of the classroom as much. But when we have something to bond over like field hockey, we can talk about the game coming up, we can get to know each other at practice.”  

Along with the relationships made between her and the athletes, the relationship between players is a strong bond. It’s a sense of family that grows as time goes on. 

“I think the relationships between everybody throughout the past three years have grown a lot stronger,” Malm said. 

Coach Malm has experienced firsthand what it’s like having such close relationships with her teammates since she played field hockey at her high school in Michigan. Malm talked fondly of the experience saying

“Playing field hockey was probably my favorite experience from my high school. I was really close to my teammates and I just felt that doing the sport as a freshman allowed me to be apart of my school community,” Malm said,

Malm has found a lot of joy also just coaching. One of her favorite memories was from three years ago when she was coaching the freshman team. They had been behind 0-3 in a game against Colorado Academy before half time. But the team was able to score three points tying the game in the second half. 

The same year, the Varsity girls won the state championships! Those are the moments that the team comes together, congratulates each other in a big group huddle, and becomes a family. 

Malm did note that due to Covid it has been harder creating the relationships between everybody, compared to other years. This year because of CHSSA regulations, girls have had to practice in pods instead of altogether making it hard for a team to be one. And the simple things like mask causes a difference, 

“It’s hard to see athletes smile, it’s hard to hear everybody. So I think communication, in general, is just a challenge this year than it’s been in the past,” Malm said. 

Even with the ups and downs of the past year because of Covid, the field hockey team has still done a superb job accomplishing their goal of creating a family and making the students and coaches feel a part of the Regis community. And not to mention that the team has played so well that Varsity won state.

Ella Van Dusen‘24 takes off with the ball while Mount Vistas defense tries to defend their goal. The girls won 3-0. “I think we had a great game, I’m proud of how the girls played,” Van Dusen said.
(Finn Cooper ‘21 )