A HEALTHY STATE OF MIND. MR. JEFFREY GONSALVES-MCCABE DISCUSSES THE IMPORTANCE OF MENTAL HEALTH

By Oheneba Osei-Fordwuo ’25

Students can carry a lot of weight on their shoulders with all their responsibilities at school added to what they already have going on at home. One of Regis Jesuit High School’s new counselors, Mr. Jeffrey Gonsalves- McCabe also referred to as Mr. GMC, discussed the importance of managing your mental health and talking to trusted friends and adults face to face.

“Especially for young people, there’s a lot of pressure. I think it’s important for young people to have someone to talk to that’s different from parents or friends because all those other people have expectations,” he said. “So, coming and talking to a counselor in high school allows them to process things and share what’s going on without being afraid that someone is going to judge them.”

The Covid-19 pandemic had a worldwide impact on people’s mental health. Being isolated and only communicating through technology, the transition back to “normal” life, where we see and communicate with each other face to face, has presented a few problems with how we interact with each other, especially in a school.

“Coming back after, I think a lot of people’s social skills aren’t as strong and interacting with people is more difficult. I think especially for young people, like elementary or middle school, those are crucial times to help them figure out how to relate. So, I think we are going to see, sadly more mental health struggles as we move away from the [Covid-19] pandemic.”

Talking about mental health and wellbeing is important, yet it can often be an uncomfortable topic. Mr. GMC emphasized how the more we talk about our mental health and the struggles we are going through, the better our mental health will be and the more comfortable we are seeking help and being a source for others to come to.

“I think we want to get as far away from it being stigmatized as possible. If we talk about it and normalize it, people don’t feel that if they are going to see a therapist or a counselor that there is something wrong with them,” he said. “They’re just talking to someone to figure out how to live life better, be happy, not have so much pressure and anxiety, and to live in a life where they are the best versions of themselves.”

Having another school year without mandatory masks and virtual classes, it is important for students to talk to each other and form good relationships with friends. At a time where anything could change, it is crucial that students find a group of individuals who can help them when they are struggling.

“Get off your phones, talk to people face to face.” Mr. GMC said.