RJ MEDIA NOW

Student media, Regis Jesuit High School

Student media, Regis Jesuit High School

RJ MEDIA NOW

Student media, Regis Jesuit High School

RJ MEDIA NOW

Inside the Raider Sports Network

For the big games, a peak of 1000 people tune into NFHS to watch their raiders play their respective sports. In the light of this, many don’t know what it takes to broadcast games. As the music blares and the student sections go crazy, a special group helps make the watching experience enjoyable. But what goes into it?

Freshman Connor Houtsma, who produces for the Raider Sports Network, describes what it’s like behind the scenes. He describes how it can be hard “to stay unbiased,” especially for big games. This sentiment is a common thread for all the announcers. Considering how all the announcers are Regis Students, a quality that RSN (Raider Sports Network) emphasizes for all members is professionalism.

More than that, flexibility and grit are required. With a lot of the equipment being around ten years old, students are forced to stay diligent while recording. Sophomore Charlie Wood decided to highlight that as his biggest struggle while broadcasting. Thankfully, new equipment is coming in to help create a smoother experience for broadcasters and viewers alike.

Besides that, there is a certain pride that broadcasters carry themselves with. When asked about their favorite moments, all members described celebrating with their home team after a great moment. For Charlie Wood, it was after Jack De Simone, ‘25 (striker for Regis Jesuit), “accidentally popped the ball over the [Cherry Creek] keeper,” which ultimately allowed Regis to progress into the playoffs. He talked about how, although he was dealing with a lot of technical difficulties that night, that one moment created a beautiful memory for him.

Barret Pavlik, ‘24 (leader of RSN), had vivid memories of being able to commentate on a close baseball game between Regis and their rival, Mullen. With a smile on his face, he recounted being able to announce four home runs, including a walk-off, which gave Regis the win. The reason why this was so special to him was that this was the first time he was able to implement his own home-run calls, which made him feel like a true professional. It also helped that everyone in the box with him was laughing.

Although announcing isn’t the most glamorous pastime for many students, the satisfaction that these announcers get after allowing parents and students alike to experience RJ sports makes all the difference. If you’re interested in joining, contact Mr. Dawkins.