RJ MEDIA NOW

Student media, Regis Jesuit High School

Student media, Regis Jesuit High School

RJ MEDIA NOW

Student media, Regis Jesuit High School

RJ MEDIA NOW

The Amazing Chemistry of the Regis Jesuit Girls Swim Team

The buzzer starts, the divers take off from the blocks. All the training and early morning practices have led to these races. The girls swim team has been working hard all season to compete in the state tournament.

When we interviewed junior swimmer Emmery Busacker she said, “I think we could win it, that’s the goal and I think that we will reach it this year.”

The team’s confidence and swimming ability will take them far. They have practice almost every morning before school and a meet around once a week. The practices are always in the bubble at Regis and meets can be anywhere. The girls have a tight bond no matter how good of a swimmer someone is.

Sophomore swimmer, Sarah Runge said, “My favorite thing about being on the team is my friends and getting to practice with them.”

Before every meet the girls huddle up and get ready to swim. They start chanting and they start quiet. They slowly get louder until you can’t hear anything other than their voices. It is intimidating to the other teams and lets everyone in the pool who wants to win. Their spirit and enthusiasm carries them to many victories. All of the parents watch intensely as their kids battle it off in the water. They all have their stopwatches out to verify the kids’ times. Nothing goes unnoticed with the three referees surrounding the pool watching every turn and every kick. If someone makes the slightest mistake a loud horn startles every person in the pool. The swimmers are feeling the nerve and the rush and the pressure.

However once it is all over it is rewarding. They get to celebrate the wins with their team and work through the losses together. The Regis Jesuit girls swim team is strong and their work ethic will carry them to victory in all of their meets. Come watch and support the girls as the swim their way to the finals.