RJ MEDIA NOW

Student media, Regis Jesuit High School

Student media, Regis Jesuit High School

RJ MEDIA NOW

Student media, Regis Jesuit High School

RJ MEDIA NOW

Girls Soccer Draws with Chaparral on Senior Night

A RJ goal followed by an unfortunate own goal just a few minutes later were the only tallies in the game.

In late April, Regis Girls Varsity Soccer had their Senior night against Chaparral. With Ryann Haag, Caitlin Barry, Kate Thompson, Sasha Tognetti, Adeleine Walick, and Samantha Woodward being the Seniors who celebrated this special occasion about them.

Regis struck first, with Junior Brooke Metcalfe scoring from an assist from fellow Junior Nora Sheirbon towards the end of the first half. Just a few minutes later, Chap Sophomore Emerson Sprinkle toke a shot that bounced off an RJ defender to grab the equalizer. A scoreless second half saw the scoreline wrap up at one-one, with the girls earning a draw with their hard work. Great job ladies!

It was an overall very even game, with many highs and lows, and a draw was a fitting end to the game.

This was Regis’ second to last home game, with 2-nil loss against number one Mountain Vista being RJ’s final home game of the season. Congrats on a great season, and we look towards a bright future for the program.

I interviewed Will Cropper ’98, the Varsity Girl’s Soccer manager, about the game, and here were his thoughts on the performance and the season overall.

“Senior night, I was actually very pleased. Our biggest goal this season was each game to perform better than the last,” the coach said when asked about the performance on the special game.

“I think senior night, the girls kinda really stepped up and played for the seniors,” he said while answering the same question.

When asked about the player of the match, the coach could not name a single player because both the seniors and more extensively the whole team played such a cohesive match.

“I think they just learned that winning isn’t everything. Your tone and the culture of your program is not set, and should not be set, by how many wins or how many goals or what your stats are. There’s a lot more to a team. A lot more to a team’s dynamic, a team’s chemistry and ultimately the culture of a team goes far beyond what the scoreboard says at the end of every game,” Cropper said when interviewed about what the underclassmen learned from the seniors throughout the season.

For the seniors, this marks one of their final games and getting a decent result was a great way to send off their Regis careers. With a fair bit of freshmen and sophomores on the team, the future looks bright after a rebuilding year this most recent season. As the season wraps up, their seniors can most certainly be proud of their careers and the whole team can learn something from this most recent year of the program.