Exchange Rate

Manolo+Padilla+%28second+from+the+left%29+poses+with+his+fellow+exchange+students+and+host+family+as+he+first+sets+foot+on+Colorado+soil+for+his+Regis+Jesuit+high+school+experience.+

Manolo Padilla (second from the left) poses with his fellow exchange students and host family as he first sets foot on Colorado soil for his Regis Jesuit high school experience.

For most high school students, the idea of changing schools halfway through the year seems pretty terrifying, especially if that new school is over 1,000 miles from home and everyone speaks a different language.

Every year, several students take a leap of faith and decide to test their language and learning ability by emerging themselves into another countries culture. Students from Regis Jesuit and the Instituto de Ciencias in Zapopan Mexico trade places in hopes of becoming more confident in their English or Spanish and to gain knowledge of different cultures through the world.

“They’re usually pretty confident kids in the first place… But I have seen them grown in confidence in their ability to express themselves, in their ability to interact with people, and I’ve also seen them grow in the sense of this recognition that even though they’re in a completely different culture… people are very much the same.” Ms. Vela said “That sense of growth is an experience where they’re able to see the world in a different way… the world is no longer segmented into Mexican and American.”

Manolo Padilla Leaños ’16 from the Instituto de Ciencias spent the second semester of the 2013-2014 school year at Regis Jesuit along with a few other students. These new members of the Regis Jesuit community were fully embraced by the student body and faculty thus allowing them to adapt to the cultural differences without fear of judgment.

“It was really cool to see them interact with the brotherhood and culture here at Regis. I thought they adapted well and interacted very well with the guys, and the guys were very receptive to them and welcoming.” Mr. Fenoglio said, “It was really cool to see them make them feel right at home.”

“Everyone knows you and everyone cares about you.” Manolo Padilla said. When asked how people helped him to adapt, Padilla said, “Explaining to me the rules at Regis and how school works in the USA.”

Regis Jesuit students also have the opportunity to spend a semester in Mexico honing their language and communication skills. These students show just as much development and change as the students from Mexico.

“They come back with such confidence in their ability to handle life, you know, they’re not with their family, they have to do things on their own, they have to struggle through classes in a language they don’t know… I have seen them come back with this amazing sense of self confidence in what they’re doing.” Ms. Vela said.

Interested in hosting a foreign exchange student or spending a semester abroad? Contact Ms. Vela in the boys division HUB with any questions.