Sticking Together Against “The Word”

The word “retard” is a term used to put down others in a mean and hurtful way that targets more than one person. Not only does the “R word” have a negative effect on the person it is being used towards, but also the group it makes assumptions about. The word assumes that people with mental or physical disabilities are unintelligent.

Students and staff at Regis Jesuit have taken the initiative to help “Spread the Word to End the Word”, a massive trend that has caught on to end the use of the “R word”. On Thursday March 12th a rally took place at school where students pledged to end the word.

“The “R word” separates people from the rest of society. It isolates those who are slightly different from what is “normal” to society from everyone. It is never okay to call or describe anyone as “retarded” because everyone is human and we are all equal. Everyone deserves to be treated the same and using the “R” word is degrading and creates boundaries in society,” Freshman Anna Van Jacobs shares her thoughts on the “R word”.

“The “R word” is a disparaging term towards people with physical or mental disabilities that slows ones ability to learn. The word retard holds so much power and negativity, but we should not just be focussing on the “R word”, there are so many other hurtful words that are detrimental to our community and can completely destroy someone’s spirit,” Freshman Hannah Able shares her opinion on the matter.

Offensive language is something that Regis Jesuit students and staff do not tolerate because not only does it pollute our school, but our community as well.