Student Athletes And Their Grades

Are students who are playing sports getting higher grades?

Playing sports can help students in more ways than you might think. Problem solving, analyzing situations, responsibility, and work ethic are all traits that are taught not only in the classroom, but on the field as well.

At Regis Jesuit, the average student-athlete received a 3.5 GPA in the first semester. So what helps them to be so successful?

“Sports provide you with a healthy way to relieve the stress that is caused by the assignments given in school,” freshman Dean Maloney said.

Exercise is most underrated stress reliever there is, so kids who get more of it tend to perform better at school, but do kids who play sports have higher GPA’s than kids who don’t? Not being involved with a sport would give you more time to do school work, and they wouldn’t be missing classes to go out of state for tournaments and camps.

“I think that’s the main reason why kids who don’t play sports would have higher GPA’s because if they don’t have a commitment to a team, they don’t have as many responsibilities and they can focus on school work instead,” Maloney said.

Some people disagree however.

“I believe that student-athletes would have higher GPA’s because through sports they learn many skills that can enhance their school work,” said freshman AJ Abam. “It helps to keep me organized, it gives me the ability to analyze situations or problems and strategically solve them, and the fitness keeps me healthy and focused in class.”

Despite the opposing opinions, a 3.5 GPA is nothing to sneeze at. Even though people disagree, it seems as if student-athletes are on to something. As long as you can find a balance between the two, playing sports can help you with your academics. Crucial life skills like problem solving, making decisions quickly, and thinking on your toes are all things that can be learned by playing sports, and then used in the classroom.