Sophomore Service: Meals of Love

Sophomore Service: Meals of Love

Hunger. It’s one of the heartbreaking realities that can define many American households and it continues to be a significant problem throughout the nation.

However, in the interest of feeding the hungry, ending hunger permanently, and serving the less fortunate in order to grow spiritually with others and with God, half of the girls’ sophomore class visited the Food Bank of the Rockies on Friday, November 20th, 2015 for their fall service day.

The Food Bank of the Rockies explained that the total poverty rate in Colorado has increased from 9.6% in 2001 to 12.9% in 2012. Furthermore, Colorado’s child poverty rate increased from 12.2% in 2001 to 18.1% in 2012.

The organization helps to feed those that live in Colorado, parts of Utah, and Nebraska. “We do this by distributing 121,000 meals each day through more than 800 hunger relief partner agencies and our direct service programs,” one of the employees stated.

Mrs. Kraus, one of the service directors at Regis, wanted the girls to realize the significance of thier actions, not only towards others, but also the effect that their generosity and hard work would have on themselves. “Even though you cannot see the faces of those that you are helping, know that the food that you touch will help others and change their lives…it is not only important that you do service in order to show God’s love to others; you also need to reflect on your service and see your positive impact on the world in order to really change and be influenced by your actions,” Kraus said.

During thier service day, many girls created memories and encountered monumental experiences. “It was fun to work as a team with my sophomore sisters,” said Anna Van Jacobs. “We got the opportunity to provide meals for children to eat this upcoming weekend, and the overall experience exposed us to what it really means to be women with and for others.”

After their service at the Food Bank of the Rockies, the girls returned to Regis Jesuit, where they celebrated Mass with Fr. Bob Sullivan. They reflected on the value of service, their ability to make a positive impact on others, and they noticed how God’s goodness can make itself apparent in the people and experiences that they encounter every day.

To learn more about hunger and hunger prevention in Colorado, visit Food Bank of the Rockies.