The ID is fake, but the problem isn’t.

Are fake IDs a new necessity for the life of a high school student, or are students taking unnecessary risks?

A fake ID is something commonly used by those under the age of 21 in today’s world. Most of these users are minors, looking to enjoy themselves.

An anonymous source had this to say, “In today’s world, they are a part of high school life. Many of my friends have one and they have use accepted that they are going to go to parties and they are going to need alcohol.” A study taken in 2009 of college students found that 17% of freshmen and 32% of seniors owned a fake ID.(economist.com)

Statistics have shown that people who use a fake ID to obtain alcohol are more likely to develop drinking problems in the future such as alcoholism or liver problems, due to overconsumption in such a short period of time.

Certain arguments are made by underage students for having a Fake ID, “They are morally incorrect, but it’s better than stealing it from your parents, or buying it from someone you don’t know very well because that could be dangerous and there could be something in the drink, or they could be an undercover cop, you never know.”

While it’s easy enough to get a fake ID, the consequences that come with it are much harder to believe. Depending on which state you are caught in, you could be looking at a felony charge, charges of fraud and identity theft, getting your license permanently revoked, and jail time.  A user said, “Oh ya, there are serious consequences for getting caught, most of the time the bouncer will cut it and you leave without your ID, but if they call the cops or the school you are attending finds out, then you are going to be in serious trouble. You won’t only be in trouble with your school, but legal actions could by the cops be severe. I’ve seen it ruin kids lives before”

While it is important to have fun in your youth years, it is also important to remember to not risk anything unnecessarily and to make sure you can enjoy it later in life.