Why Flying During a Pandemic is Safe

Studies suggests that your risk of getting Covid on a plane is very low.

Departure+out+of+Fort+Myers+%28Tyler+Chan%29

Departure out of Fort Myers (Tyler Chan)

Tyler Chan ‘23

Airlines and airports around the world are taking unprecedented measures to keep passengers safe, with the health and safety of airlines employees and consumers being atop priority. Flying is safer than ever, even in a global pandemic.

 

 

Airlines have redone their boarding process to allow for social distancing, one of the main ways  you can stay safe from the Coronavirus. They have implemented six feet of distance into the boarding process and have tried to limit the person to person interaction. United Airlines does the boarding process well. Instead of the traditional boarding groups, they board in rows from back to front. By doing this they limit the congregation at the boarding area, and interaction between passengers.

 

Denver airport cares just as much as airlines do about the health and safety of their customers and employees. They have implemented many safety measures like mask mandate, sanitation stations, and social distancing signs around the airport. At many airports you will see that there are always employees cleaning high touch surfaces. Sanitation stations and social distancing signs are all around the airport. By wearing a mask, social distancing, and washing your hands frequently, you will be protected from the virus.

 

Cleaning and sanitation processes onboard an aircraft ensure your health and safety throughout the flight. Before each flight, airline employees clean high touch surfaces before passengers board, and airlines use a fog machine that kills any germs and particles in the air and on surfaces. In addition, before every flight airlines like United, Southwest and American will hand you a wipe to clean the areas around your seat.

 

Some say that on a fully packed plane you are more likely to get COVID-19, but evidence shows that you have a 0.03% chance of getting the virus on a fully packed plane. Airlines use HEPA filters that remove 99.97% of airborne particles. Every 2-3 minutes the air is cycled through so that you are constantly breathing clean air. With all these safety measures in place, it makes flying very safe even in a pandemic. DIA knows crowded trains can create an issue. What they have to offer to help solve this is an app called VeriFLY that allows passengers to reserve a specific time to pass through security and board a socially distant train car to their concourse.

 

Airports and airlines make it as safe as physically possible to prevent you from contracting the virus, more so than eating at a restaurant or at a grocery store does. The chance of you catching the virus on the plane is very low. If you want to travel after, you need to invest now.