Regis and Many Others Make the Leap to Fully In Person School

As COVID cases and quarantines drop, schools plan to return to having one hundred percent of students in the classroom.

Starting Feb. 8th Colorado teachers are eligible to receive the vaccines which only benefits the reopening of our schools. (Wikimedia Commons fair use)

With more students in person and fewer cases of COVID-19, the RJ community plans to move to full in person classes by the end of the month.

Regis Jesuit President David Card and Principal Jimmy Tricco announced last weekend that our school would begin full on-campus mode on February . Students and teachers alike are anxious to return to a close-to-normal learning setting after what feels like years without it. on February 17th. The weekly “Red and White” email discussed the number of cases, quarantines, and how RJ plans to proceed with this in a safe manner.

“Our health and safety measures and your adherence to them have seen our cases and quarantine numbers drop since the start of the semester and even more significantly compared to figures from last fall,” the email stated. “So we are confident we are ready to bring our students back to campus for the opportunity to take classes in-person five days a week.”

In addition to Regis Jesuit assuring its families of the safety of returning, the Biden Administration assured the general public of it, as well. If all necessary precautions are taken, with the the help of the new relief package’s funding, they believe schools can increase capacity safely.

“There are several mitigating factors that we’ve seen in data to date that will help make it safe,”White House Secretary Jen Psaki stated. “Of course, vaccines are part of that, but so is masking, so is social distancing, so is ensuring that schools have the ventilation and the facilities that they need in order to do it safely.”

Students, faculty, and staff rely on school as a place to socialize and interact with friends and peers.

“Being able to go to school in person just makes the whole experience so much more enjoyable,” freshmen Sloane Anderson said. “Especially being a freshman, having that time to interact with my peers and get to know everyone and the school is so crucial.”

It has been a long time coming, and many look foreword to this new experience. The hallways are buzzing with excitement to return to school in a manner that is as close to normal as anything we have had all year.

“The 75% capacity was a really nice change from being stuck inside in front of a computer,” freshmen Emme Penry said. “So I can only imagine how 100% capacity will feel. It’s super encouraging that things are starting to get back to normal.”

With so much planning and thought that went into this decision from both Regis Jesuit and the Center for Disease Control (CDC) gives everyone the comfort of knowing that they are safe“Decisions made today can help ensure safe operation of schools and provide critical services to children and adolescents in the U.S” CDC officials said on January 28, 2021.