RJ MEDIA NOW

Student media, Regis Jesuit High School

Student media, Regis Jesuit High School

RJ MEDIA NOW

Student media, Regis Jesuit High School

RJ MEDIA NOW

Regis Jesuit Celebrates Las Posadas!

Students preparing for Las Posadas in the Steel Center.

On Friday December 15th, 2023, Regis Jesuit’s Latinos Unidos held a Las Posadas Celebration. In the Girls Division cafeteria, Steel Center and Boys Division Tradition Hall, students were able to enjoy arroz con leche, pan dulce, champurrado and many other traditional foods and drinks.

Las Posadas is a Mexican festival that commemorates and celebrates Mary and Joseph’s search for shelter before Jesus’ birth. During the holiday people are served an assortment of traditional Mexican holiday treats, many gather around to celebrate, and children play. Las Posadas is celebrated between December 16th through the 24th. Las Posadas means “the inns” or “the lodgings” in Spanish. When there was no room in inns or lodges Mary and Joseph gave birth to Jesus in a humble stable. Las Posadas is celebrated in various Latin American countries, like, Venezuela, Columbia, and Mexico. Now among Hispanic countries it is celebrated worldwide. It creates a sense of togetherness and community. Along with food and drinks ,many celebrate by putting on plays and skits. Stories have been written about the event and are often told to the children. Mr. Diaz explained in an interview; “We celebrate with amazing foods, drinks, and of course friends and family.” As we have seen, Las Posadas is an event full of love and community that we all can be a part of!

“Feliz Navidad” said Mr. Diaz in celebration of Las Posadas. We can see the excitement on everyone’s faces as Christmas is near. In all divisions we see people having fun and trying out new foods. Julia Fritschen and Violetta Alba tried out some of the foods. “Soo good” said Julia Fritschen, after she tried a bowl of posole. “Mmm” said Violetta Alba when she tried the hot chocolate. “I love it” said Valentina Espinoza after taking a bite of arroz con leche.

Las Posadas (youtube.com)