Mr. Best: Learning by Experience

Mr. Best describes his travels around the world and how they relate to him and Model United Nations.

Steven Bruening '18

THE FIRST MODEL UN MEETING held inside the PAC. Students gathered to sign up for the club and introduce themselves.

MODEL UN CLUB:
A great experience for all students to learn about international relations and participate in mock United Nations meetings
-Co-divisional
-Open to all students
-Meetings held Mondays in the PAC

From Spain to Guatemala, Mr. Best has traveled the world in search of new adventures and traditions. These travels have given him a one-of-a-kind outlook on life and a deep understanding of foreign culture, which he will be expressing through the Model United Nations class and club this year.

Mr. Best grew up in Denver, Colorado. After high school, he attended Lehigh University in Pennsylvania, earning a degree in Spanish, history, and education. During this time, he studied abroad, staying with a family in Madrid.

His stay in Madrid sparked an interest in foreign culture and travel. He said, “Ever since then, I have been trying to travel around the world and learn about the rest of the world as much as possible… which is why Model UN is kind of perfect for me”.

His love for history, foreign culture, and desire to visit the many awe-inspiring sights around the world has carried him across the globe. He has traveled to far-flung countries, including: Guatemala, France, Iceland, South Africa, Vietnam, and Australia.

His visits to many of the western European countries were not only spent enjoying and discovering the cultures, sights, and people, but also to express another one of his passions– soccer. “When I was young, I played soccer in western Europe,” a sport that he loves and continues to play.

Mr. Best hopes to travel to Brazil, West Africa, and Nepal in the near future.

Mr. Best is interested in Brazil for its unique culture, especially the locals’ appreciation for life and the “festive atmosphere.” He also enjoys motorcycling, as he said, “It’d be cool to see the coasts of Brazil [While on a motorcycle trip]”.

Aside from his traveling, Mr. Best is also a teacher at Regis Jesuit. He has been working at Regis for around six years teaching various classes, including Model UN and social studies.

This year, in addition to the Model UN class, he will be involved with the Model United Nations club. These are perfect for him, as they offer him the opportunity to share his vast cultural knowledge with students, and teach what he really loves.

Mr. Best has lived and worked in many cultures and places few will ever get the opportunity to enjoy. He now shares his many experiences, and the knowledge he has gained through them, at Regis Jesuit.