The Test of Technological Teaching

Sam Berger

Regis students in junior hall work and play games on their iPads.

Everybody has seen the dreaded spinning wheel of death when trying to load a page, and it is one of the worst possible sights when your grades depend on opening a site like Canvas. “The wifi has been rather faulty in previous years at Regis Jesuit.” says student Bryce Johnson.

Despite this reputation, It seems things are beginning to look up. In an interview with Mr. Ramos, some exciting news was unveiled.

“We are working on upgrading ourUpgrade STD internet now. Our current plan is to go up to a gigabit. We will sign a contract with Comcast to go up to a gigabit connection,” Mr. Ramos said. Currently, Regis only has a 200 megabit connection speed for both student and teachers, so this will hopefully be a drastic change.

“We will be signing the contract with Comcast in December. Hopefully, by the end of the month, the upgrade will be complete,” said Mr. Ramos. This is very good news for the iPad program, the idea of which had many students skeptical. “I had many doubts over the iPad program, yet it has worked much better than I had predicted. However, it definitely still has a long way to go before it is perfect, especially as far as the internet speed goes,” Bryce Johnson said. The overall success of the iPad program has been a bit of a surprise to many, yet many also think that we still have a lot of progress to be made.

One major concern over the iPad program has been the simplicity of slacking. A multitude of students, including myself, have found it rather hard to focus in class due to the iPad program. When asked whether this will be a problem, Mr. Ramos said, “Yes and no. I think it could be very easy, but I think it completely depends on the teacher. I think it depends on how the teacher will be able to integrate the iPad.”

Overall, things are looking pretty good for the future of the iPad program. With the addition of the faster internet and the acclimation of both teachers and students to the new program, the aspects are looking up.