RJ MEDIA NOW

Student media, Regis Jesuit High School

Student media, Regis Jesuit High School

RJ MEDIA NOW

Student media, Regis Jesuit High School

RJ MEDIA NOW

Senior Baseball Leadership

How stepping up into a leadership role has led the Boys Varsity Baseball team to success.

Ranked 2nd in the state, Varsity Boys Baseball has had an outstanding season and have strengthened their bond with every game. The brotherhood off of the field leads to big successes on the field. Lead by captains Andrew Bell ‘24 and Brody Chyr ‘24, the team holds a 16-5 record in regular season, with an almost guaranteed spot in playoffs. These victories are a reflection of the talent, as well as leadership of these players.

      Senior Jake Burnett shared how he has grown through his experiences on the team and been a guide. The relationships he has made with the other players is very important to him and the dynamic. Through his injuries and hardships, he has persevered “with the help of [his] teammates.” Because of this, he has pushed through adversity and become a better player, who is a leader to both his fellow seniors and the underclassmen.
      Juniors Nick Wiley and Christian Lopez have similar views on the importance of leadership and how it has impacted their time on the team. Wiley believes a positive atmosphere strengthens the program and encourages initiative. The seniors have helped foster this by showing the underclassmen “the ins and outs” of the game. Wiley intends to stay a team-player next year and continue to “give 100%” in everything he does.
      Lopez agrees, and admires the captain’s and senior’s leadership by “how they lead” on and off the field. He thinks the collaboration during practices and games is crucial to a successful season and constructive environment. Lopez aims to carry on these traits and pass them on to his younger teammates.
The legacy left by the seniors through their actions reach beyond their wins and losses. It’s clear that sticking together through the season shows success. The relationships made and lessons learned have guided and motivated the development of the team. It seems that the unity has played a big part in how the seniors have lead the team.
As Trevor Nordstrom ‘24 runs to the dugout, Gibson Cook ‘24 high fives him for his hard work. (Logan Siegrist ’24)
Catcher Nick Wiley ‘25 sets up for the pitch. (Natalie Shellhorn ’24)
Hudson Alpert ’26 hustles done the first base line to beat out the play. (Natalie Shellhorn ’24)
Liam Mosley ‘24 signals what pitch he will throw to his catcher.
Nick Wiley ’25 frames the pitch, pulling it in for a strike.
Colin Dwyer ’24 hustles down the line to first base after hitting a single to right field.
Liam Mosley ’24 fires the first pitch of an at bat hoping to get the third out.
Captain Andrew Bell ’24 stands ready in the box waiting for his pitch.
Chase Massey ’26 holds up his hand to tell Christian Lopez ’25 that he is safe without a doubt.
Nick Wiley ’25 times up the pitcher from the on-deck circle.