Young Age, Same Ability

Luke Mitchell is doing something that he has dreamed about since he first touched a soccer ball: play on his high school varsity team.

Luke Mitchell, a student at Regis Jesuit, laces up his soccer cleats and gets his shin guards on. He can already feel his black Adidas cleats burning up from the intense Colorado sun shining down on the turf. Mitchell looks just like any other Regis varsity soccer player getting ready for practice, yet there is something that makes him slightly different from the rest.

Luke is a freshmen. On an extremely talented Regis Jesuit team, Luke stands alone as the only freshmen to have made the team this year.

When asked what his first reaction was to making the team, Mitchell said, “I felt complete. It’s something I was working for all summer, and honestly longer than that. It just felt good to have my hard work be acknowledged.”

Not many freshmen get the opportunity to play at the varsity level, but Luke worked hard to get spot on the team. All summer he attended the kickarounds with the program, as well as did some of his own work on his own time, and it paid off.

Wearing number 13, Mitchell doesn’t look any different than any of the other players when he’s out on the field. However, from his perspective, he can feel a difference on the field.

“It’s a different level of soccer [than I’m used to]. The pace is really fast, and there are some really physical men up there, so I get bounced around pretty hard.” said Mitchell.

Luke says that he doesn’t always enjoy being the youngest player on the team, as well as the field sometimes, due to the nature of upperclassmen to exert the dominance upon the younger players on the field. However, this doesn’t phase him from playing at an extremely high level.

Luke credits his soccer ability, as well as his work ethic, to his club team, Colorado Rapids Academy, as well Colorado’s Olympic Developmental Program team, which he plays for.

“I think that putting the work in for those two clubs have really prepared me for the varsity level.” said Mitchell.

Luke has made an instant impact for the team. Playing center midfield, he has given the team an energy that was much needed to boost the team to a higher level of play.

“I guess [my goal for this season] is just playing time.” Luke said.

Playing time is something that Luke should be getting used to, due to how good of a player he has proven himself to be.

As for where Mitchell sees soccer taking him in the future, “My goal for a really long time is just to be playing at the college level. D1 or D2. Doesn’t matter.” he said. “I’m fine if I don’t go pro. Obviously there is a low probability of me going pro.” However, he said that if he was given the opportunity to play professional soccer, he would take it.

In the next four years, you can expect Luke Mitchell to have his name called by the announcer before Regis varsity soccer games, and expect to see him become one of the best players Regis Jesuit has seen.