The Service Project Experience

Regis Jesuit students are frequently questioned about what is so different about going to RJHS as opposed to a public school. Among many different answers there is one that most upperclassman would consider key to the Regis Jesuit experience – Service Projects.

For two weeks out of second semester, Juniors and Seniors from both divisions are given the opportunity to choose a place that they would like to serve. An opportunity like this is one that most students anywhere else would never have the chance to experience. It not only gives the students a chance to serve, but it puts them directly into a different lifestyle and places them into a new community. As a private school student, entering into these communities opens students eyes and hearts to the struggles that people face everyday.

Casen Dunn ’16, a volunteer at Jewell Elementary in Aurora CO, experienced a far more eye opening two weeks then he ever would have expected. “Going into this elementary school I kind of expected it just to be like back when I was that age. I was kind of sheltered from the possibility that kids that young we’re going through such hardships” Dunn stated. “If I could give one piece of advice to all the juniors going in this year it would be to try to get to know every kid (or adult) that you work with. So many of them have stories and struggles that you wouldn’t have a clue about without asking.”

With the list of service sites coming out soon for Regis Jesuit upperclassman, it is crucial to go into your site with a completely open mind. Just like all retreats at Regis Jesuit, the motto “participate don’t anticipate” is key to maximizing the service experience. This two week time period that Regis Jesuit juniors and seniors spend at service sites is not meant to give students opportunity to be with friends or to relax and have fun, but to open students up and broaden their horizons about what people experience daily. Just like everything in life, Service Projects are what you make them, but if you are willing to open up and let God guide the experience, you will finish this two weeks with a new perspective on how valuable the life you live truly is.