Freshman Theology: Has it impacted our students so far?

Mr. Ptolemy and a few freshman students share how they feel on their own theology classes.

A cross stands in the upstairs of Tradition Hall, reminding students of their faith.

Some students believe it has. “It has really helped me to be more positive and proud about being a Catholic,” quoted a freshman at Regis Jesuit who wished to remain anonymous.

The Freshman Theology course consists of discovering more about the Catholic faith, as well as more discovering yourself, and your own beliefs.

Mr. Ptolemy, a freshman theology teacher at Regis Jesuit, gave his opinions, “I think the students are more open to discussions about religion, about God, and about their own faith.”

But it didn’t all start like this, according to Mr. Ptolemy, “A lot of students come into their freshman year closed off to the idea of theology, or their faith, for whatever reason.” He said there is  no doubt that trying to opening up the students is a part of the freshman theology curriculum.

Though all of this is true, has it actually worked? A Freshman at Regis Jesuit who wished to remain anonymous told RJ Media, “I don’t really know how it has impacted my life, honestly.”

Mr. Ptolemy responded to this topic with a sprinkle of hope for all like-minded people, “I think it’s gradual, it really depends on the student.”

Although the whole of the student body might not be completely open to the concept yet, there has been a trend of public acceptance of their faith, without embarrassment, as quoted by Freshman Emma Sinelli, “It has made me appreciate, love, and accept my faith even more. It has given me a more positive attitude about being Catholic and excepting myself as a Catholic.”

With a whole semester still left for students at Regis Jesuit this year, a lot of change is still due to be underway. Many opinions are bound to change, many to stay exactly where they are as of now.