RJ MEDIA NOW

Student media, Regis Jesuit High School

Student media, Regis Jesuit High School

RJ MEDIA NOW

Student media, Regis Jesuit High School

RJ MEDIA NOW

Regis Jesuit Mock Trial Team 2023

The Regis Jesuit Mocktail team participated in the prov cup this pre-season.

They placed 2nd overall in the pre-season. Mock trial has been working tirelessly to prepare for their next competition this season. We participated in their practice on November 30th to interview some of the team members from the A team to get the inside scoop on how mock trial works. There are two coaches per team, and anywhere from 8-10 kids on a team.

We interviewed 3 people on the team to ask them how the season is going. When we asked Mr. Van Voorhis if he thought his team would do well, he was very confident in his team and their abilities. “We had an excellent result last year; they were terrific, and I expect that of these kids too.” (Mr. Van Voorhis) Mr. Van Voorhis seems to be very confident about his team’s ability this year. Aside from Mr. Van Voorhis’s team there are two other teams, and A team, B team, and C team. Mainly consisting of sophomores, Juniors, and Seniors, except for two freshmen.

Once they are all the way done with practicing their case, they will compete with multiple other schools. When asked if they want to take on law in the feature, they all said no, “That is a life sucking job.” As interviewers we had a lot of fun interviewing the team and they were all super nice. We noticed that being on mock trial you get a lot of real-world experience for what being a real lawyer would be like in a real court room.

“Prov cup was really fun, I think we all learned a lot, but it was frustrating to lose.” – lily McGovern.  When we asked Mr. Van Voorhis if he would recommend mock trial, he said that he would recommend it to anyone because it helps with real life skills besides law.