A Wrap up of the Ignatian Family Teach-In

The+group+of+students+and+teachers+who+traveled+to+Washington+D.C.+standing+outside+the+National+Capital+holding+a+banner+signed+by+the+entire+Girls+Division.+

Shayna Milstein’14

The group of students and teachers who traveled to Washington D.C. standing outside the National Capital holding a banner signed by the entire Girls Division.

“I feel so lucky that I did sign up despite that because this retreat changed my life” said Senior Shayna Milstein who was apart of a group of students who traveled to Washington D.C. for the Ignatian Family Teach-In.

Over the weekend several students and teachers traveled to Washington D.C. for the Ignatian Family Teach-In. During the conference the students networked and met with several other Jesuit high schools and colleges to discuss social justice topics. The conference was also to remember the Jesuits and women martyred in El Salvador.

“It is unique because it takes all of the kids from Jesuit schools (even colleges) around the nation share their ideas and express a passion for social justice together” Senior Keenan Carpenter said.

Some keynote speakers at the conference included Sarita Gupta who is the Executive Director of Jobs with Justice & American Rights at Work. (An organization that helps to inform the American public about the struggle of democracy in the work place). Also, James Martin S.J. who is an author and the editor at large for American Magazine.

“I signed up for the trip because I wanted some insight on where to go for starting a non-profit. I was even more interested in how to get people to listen to problems” Mr. Carpenter added.

The group which consisted of all seniors (Uche Agwu, Dillon Campbell, Keenan Carpenter, Shane Jenkins, Shayna Milstein, and Anisah Spahn) also visited the Lincoln Memorial, Washington Monument, Vietnam Wall, The Air and Space Museum, The Smithsonian Art Museum, and Senator Udall’s office.

“I now have numerous volunteer opportunities, contacts who can help me to make my school sustainable, and overall just a massive network of people I know are behind changing the world for the better. I honestly cannot believe just how much those two days changed my life” Shayna concluded.