RJ MEDIA NOW

Student media, Regis Jesuit High School

Student media, Regis Jesuit High School

RJ MEDIA NOW

Student media, Regis Jesuit High School

RJ MEDIA NOW

First Fishtanks Setup in the SIC Building

The Aquatic Biology Club’s First Living Fish complete with a Mini Aquarium in the Science and Innovation Center

If you haven’t had a chance to stop by SIC room 227, you probably haven’t heard about the new fish tanks set up this past semester around the room. Headed by club leader and founder Ryann Haag, the aquatic biology club has been hard at work since January building new additions to the classroom. In total, there are about five tanks, each housing a different color beta fish. The aquatic biology club is the first of its kind at Regis Jesuit High School, and certainly the first club to build fish tanks during the meetings. Senior Ryann Haag explains that the goal of the club is “to study the fish’s behavior a little more closely,” as well as earn “hands-on experience with aquarium keeping.”

Though the club began small, it has now amassed over fifteen new members during lunchtime on Wednesdays. The tank building has especially drawn in new members. A new color of fish is voted on a poll sent out by email, then the following club meeting, the members begin by voting on the name for the new fish. Names so far have included Blue-no mars and Chipz, with colors ranging from blue to multicolored to tan. After voting on the new name, the members are encouraged to look on as Ryann Haag builds the tank, introduces the fish, and answers any questions posed by the members.

Club moderator Ms. Wilson also enjoys the club, noting how her students, “get to check out the fish and see how they’re doing,” as well as acknowledging the fun aspect of the club with naming and feeding the fish. Going into marine biology next year for college, Ryann Haag fosters an environment for peers from both the girls and boys division to learn more about aquarium and ocean life in a safe and fun space. Though Ryann will be graduating this year and will be unable to run the club, the club leader hopes that next year, aquatic biology club continues to thrive as it is passed onto next years’ soon to be seniors.