New RJ STEM Center moves in

What used to be the Raider Shop is now used in a whole different way. The STEM Center or Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics center has replaced it. Students can get some tech help or take classes involving the technologies.

Mark Heidenry, who recently came up the with the idea for the STEM center explained further about what it is used for and how it came to fruition. He said, “There was not a lot going on that we were supporting here at the school, didn’t have the infrastructure to do that.“ That is where the whole idea started.

There were not students wanting a technology lab, but Heidenry saw a necessity for it. “The robotics club has meet off campus for as long as I can remember, so we didn’t have a place to meet on campus that would support them in any way. There were a whole lot of guys that were interested in technology and engineering that we didn’t have a home base for them as well.”

Recently, there were some classes held after school including a hardware class where students rebuilt computers. There was also a CAD class where students designed parts that were used in the robotics club. Next year there is going to a class about designing iPad applications. The classes are lead by students who have an expertise in a certain area.

“If somebody needs tech help, all they have to do is come to the window and we will try our best to fix it.” If student have any trouble with their computer, they can get it fixed.

The current curriculum is not rich in computer related classes. ”We will support the curriculum in ways that the curriculum is not working in certain areas. So we’ll be able to supplement it and complement with all sorts of different classes and programs.” These classes could be anything about technology, offered after school for several days such as a mini course. This will give students an opportunity to explore topics in technology they never thought they would.

So far the STEM center has been pretty successful, even though it has not formally opened yet. The official grand opening will be in the upcoming fall semester. This year it has had a soft opening and it has gone really well. “Now it’s just kind of a student hangout,” says Heidenry, “But, next year we’ll have our agenda together and we can start moving forward.”