Pumpkin CHUNK’N

Regis Jesuit Students Launch Pumpkins Just In Time For Halloween

Pumpkin+CHUNKN

Over the past week, many of the World History 2 classes have been working on building trebuchets. Why you ask? Well, each person hopes to launch the farthest pumpkin in order to win the grand prize: A good grade. On October 30th, all of their hard work had payed off as they put their machines to the test.

A competitor in the competition comments, “It was an awesome experience! It was great to do a hands-on-project and it helped me learn a lot more about trebuchets compared to just reading words out of a textbook about them.”

“It was just a very cool experience” he added.

Mr. Kehrman, one of the many World History 2 teachers, says, “Many of the students demonstrated what they were capable of when put under some pressure…It was great to see what they were capable of in this project.”

“This [experience gives] students an opportunity for problem solving. The project said simply, you will build a trebuchet, there is a 5 foot height limit and a 50 pound counterweight limit. Beyond that, it was up to the students to figure out what the remaining dimensions, get the materials, assemble, test, and get the trebuchet to school.”

As of next year, the teachers hope to continue this tradition for they believe that it is an enriching, fun experience.