Students Inspired by Teach-in

The Ignatian Family Teach-In For Justice

Students that went on the Ignatian Family Teach-in For Justice retreat recently got back from DC. This trip is only for Jesuit High Schools and Universities in the USA, Canada, and Mexico. At the Teach-in, students learn about the many social injustices in the world from different speakers. The speeches include topics on racism, poverty, homelessness, criminal law, immigration, environmental issues, women’s rights, and education.

The students left early on Friday the 6th. Upon arrival in DC at noon, the explored. They rode the metro to the mall and saw many memorials and museums. On the saddened Saturday, they toured the Holocaust Museum. That afternoon, the conference started. They attended 3 different break out sessions, picking from ten to twenty different speakers or subjects. The conference continued on Sunday and concluded with a beautiful night mass. On Monday, they went to Congress and got to speak with the staffers for Dianne Digette and Corey Gardener about humane immigration and environmental reform.

Coline Redeker ’16, really enjoyed Helen Prejean’s talk on the Death Penalty and learning about Fe y Algería, an organization that establishes schools all over the world. Redeker’s favorite quote from the southern Helen Prejean was, “Bring on Jesus, I know Jesus!” when speaking to end the Death Penalty. The speech inspired Redeker to fight for an end to the Death Penalty because “Murdering a murderer doesn’t create justice.”

Redeker’s favorite part about the trip was seeing how many High School and College students are passionate about social justice. “It is easy to think that RJ is the only Jesuit school out there fighting for justice,” Redeker says, “but there are SO many across the nation!” She also really enjoyed exploring. The group of eleven students and five teachers really bonded over the experience. Redeker expresses her love and gratitude for these people by saying, “I am so glad that I was able to go with these incredible people who always made me laugh!”

Despite the wonderful experience she had, there is always room for growth. The one thing she would change about the trip would be leaving one day earlier so they could have more time to explore. “I wish we would have been able to go to more museums,” Redeker states that the museums are free and continues, “I wish we would have been able to go to more unique restaurant!”

There was some time within the trip for shopping. Some students took this opportunity to go to Union Station and bought little knick-knacks and shirts.

Redeker really liked the World War II memorial. “My great uncle Dan just recently passed away and he was a WWII veteran,” she says, “hearing the peaceful noises from the fountains made me feel really at peace, I knew that he was there with me.” She also liked seeing all of the fall leaves. While Colorado’s trees have already lost their leaves, the trees in DC remain vibrant reds, oranges, and yellows.

When asked if she would recommend this trip to future seniors, Redeker screams, “Yes! Yes! Yes!… Go to IFTJ, you won’t regret it!” Whatever reason there is to go on this trip, take the opportunity, it sounds like a blast. “It is an incredible opportunity to go to our nations capitol with both boys and girls,” Redeker says, “No matter what social justice issue you are passionate about, I guarantee there will be at least one speaker who inspires you,” she continues, “Even is you aren’t passionate about justice, I think you would still enjoy this retreat.”

Consider going on the Ignatian Family Teach-in For Justice as a a senior retreat. The speakers at the conference are very passionate about what they do, which makes it easy to get inspired. Explore the nation’s capitol, be immersed in the fall scenery, dine on Eastern USA food, and most of all learn, grow, and bond.