Shredding The Streets Of Regis

Clubs might make or break your high school experience, so finding the right one is very important.

Imagine if you were cruising down a road with a longboard on a warm spring day, not a care in the world with the wind blowing in your hair and being around people who share the same passion as you. With the new longboarding club created by freshman, Alex Zoellner, you can do exactly that.

Alex Zoellner, a freshman at Regis Jesuit, has been long boarding for about a year and a half and loves doing it. “If I could long board at Regis, that will be even better,” said Alex

Alex is one of the only freshmen to create a club this year, which is very impressive considering how many different interests there are at Regis. “Apparently, it is a really big deal if a freshman starts a club,” said Alex.

“I think long boarding is pretty easy to learn,” said Alex. It may be intimidating at first but once you take a grasp on the basics, you are one step closer to becoming a longboarding master.

Alex rides a Landyachtz Wolf shark, which is, “A nice taught mountain board,” according to Alex. Longboards range from $60 all the way up to $1,000, but to join the long boarding club you do not even have to have a long board! All you need is an interest in long boarding.

Even though Alex just started the club he already has plans for the club when they can longboard again. “We’re going to really start doing stuff in the spring, maybe do some races,” said Alex.

The toughest part about longboarding is finding a place to board. It has to be smooth, have a hill, and have a flat run off so you can decrease speed easy. “We’re probably going to be on the hill over at the girls’ division because it is the steepest hill on campus, but there’s some spots but they’re kinda far away,”said Alex.

Even though the longboarding club missed the club fair this year, Alex has very high hopes for the club next year and the years to come. “Since we missed club day, we didn’t get a whole lot of people to sign up, but we accepted that,” said Alex, “I think next year we’ll get a lot more people.”

1. According to Alex, longboarding has gained a lot of popularity very fast. “It’s kinda a brotherhood,” said Alex. So if you see one of your Regis brothers or sisters longboarding around campus, don’t be afraid to ask and give it a shot.