Teacher Tuesday: Mrs. Kristen Kraus

Girls Division senior theology teacher and service director Mrs. Kraus is not only a devoted teacher, but a devoted woman for others who didn’t originally see herself in this field coming out of college.  She opened up about her faith and career journeys in an interview with me:

1) Have you always been religious or was it a later conversion or even a continuous growth beginning during childhood?

I have always had a pretty strong and devout faith life. For the most part, I remember liking church, liking the Bible and always being the first to raise my hand in Sunday School (or CCD)! I can definitely say that my faith has grown and developed as I’ve grown and developed and as I’ve studied Theology and made it my own. I really thank my family for instilling the gift of faith in me and helping me to see it as a priority in my life for all of my life! I hope I can do the same for my kids.

2) When was your first service experience or at least your first moving/emotional service experience?

Three experiences come to mind. Two through my experience at Marquette University as a student and one while I was a Youth Minister at Most Precious Blood 2 years out of college.
1. I participated in a program called “Midnight Run” – although it was a lunch time. A group of students made sandwiches and picked up soup from the dining halls and then set up in a parking lot near campus. We served about 100 people a day out of the back of a van. I came to know a Native American couple that I saw each day (twice a week) I volunteered. Their stories and their kindness opened my eyes to see people as equal – all created with dignity and all worthy of respect and kindness.
2. The other was the first international immersion trip that I took – to Kingston, Jamaica. This is the first time I encountered “Third World” poverty. I was moved by the children in the school and orphanage we visited. I was overwhelmed by the elders in one of Mother Theresa’s nursing homes. And I was inspired by the dental students who set up clinics throughout the city. This was my first experience encountering the face of God in the very poor and that experience changed my heart and my trajectory for career.
3. As a Youth Minister I led a group of youth and adults to El Salvador. This was the first experience of encountering justice that I had. It was the first time I was really moved to ask questions of justice and look at the bigger picture and the lack in my surroundings. It was also the first time I led others through an experience. It was really powerful to work with high school students in asking some of life’s tough questions about dignity, politics and equality.

3) When/how did you decide to to become a teacher, and specifically in your chosen field? How did you end up being service director here?

After graduating from Marquette with a degree in Psychology and Theology, I felt called to ministry. I volunteered for a Jesuit retreat program outside of Cincinnati for 4 months. Then I applied for the position at Most Precious Blood in Denver as their youth minister. I never thought that would be the route my life would take. I thought I’d be a practicing licensed counselor helping families heal their wounds! Following the 3 years that I was at MPB, I really discerned and prayed about where God was calling me. I looked into a few different grad school programs and ended up following my instincts – I went to the school that “felt right” when I visited. I ended up at a Jesuit seminary in Cambridge, MA – Weston Jesuit School of Theology (now part of Boston College’s School of Theology and Ministry). I completed a Master of Divinity program (an academically rigorous 3 year ministry degree) the spring of 2007. When I was getting ready to graduate, I was looking for positions of ministry in a Jesuit apostolate either in Wisconsin (where my family is) or Denver (closer to my husband’s family). There aren’t a lot of options. There was a position at Marquette University in retreat ministry and the Service Director position at RJ. Once again, I followed my instincts, RJ “felt right” when I interviewed and visited! And the role of Service Director seemed to align with my passion for ministry, justice education and formation of young people with hearts moved toward care of the poor and vulnerable!

4) If you could have any other career what would it be?

I used to think I would want to be a news anchor or reporter. I have strongly considered going back to school for counseling or Social Work – and still am considering this possibility in the future. If my family were in a different place, I would love to be a professional missionary.

5) What is your favorite way to spend free time that is completely outside of Regis?
WITH MY FAMILY!!! We love to play together – we hike, bike and go for walks. We enjoy the zoo and the Museum of Nature and Science. I love to read and my husband and I really like to watch movies. Since we’ve had kids we don’t do the latter very often, but we try!