By: Jackson Overton ’21 and Brady Manzanares ’21
2018 has been a good year for rap music. There has been many albums released this year. Some reaching the top of the charts. People have different opinions but these albums put up the numbers.
- Post Malone – beerbongs & Bentley’s – Post Malone reached the top of the charts with beerbongs & Bentley’s with hit songs such as; Rockstar, Pyscho, and Candy Paint. He also surpassed 450,000 album sales in the first week of release.
- J. Cole – KOD – J. Cole showed his talent with this powerful and meaningful album. On the song 1985 (Intro to the Fall Off) J. Cole raised questions of a feud between rappers like Lil Pump and Smokepurpp. His album sales cam to be around 400,000 units in his first week.
- Logic – Bobby Tarantino 2 – The follow up from his previous album Everybody, Bobby Tarantino 2 showcases his rap abilities and it is an exciting project. Even though it is proclaimed a mixtape it put up album-like numbers. Logic is showing he belongs in the conversation as one of the top rappers in the game right now.
- XXXTENTACION – ? – The young Florida rapper impressed many people upon release of this album. He definitely showed his versatility and talent as an artist. He is expected to drop another new album before the end of the year.
- Lil Skies – Life of a Dark Rose – Pennsylvania rapper, Lil Skies debuts this impressive album and shows promise. He is mostly known for his hit songs Red Roses and Nowadays. He is still working on a new album and ready to drop it soon.
Other people wanted to share their opinions of rap albums this year:
Jack Carbone ’21 said, “Bobby Tarantino 2 was probably my favorite, I grinded on Fornite to that whole album.”
Johan Figueroa-Juarez ’22 said, “Scary Hours, even though it was an EP it was still my favorite.”