RJ’s annual Cinco de Mayo celebration 2023

From free beverages to finger painting, RJ Spanish honors society’s Cinco de Mayo fiesta was a blast for everyone. Although Regis celebrates this holiday in America, Cinco de Mayo is celebrated annually, primarily in Mexico.

Paints set up for the Cinco de Mayo artwork
RJ student illustrating her Mexican pride

Cinco de Mayo commemorates the Mexican army’s victory over the French Empire at the Battle of Puebla in 1862. Despite being a relatively minor battle in the overall French invasion of Mexico, Cinco de Mayo has become a significant cultural holiday. It is often associated with Mexican pride, heritage, and unity. The holiday is marked by colorful parades, traditional music and dance performances, delicious Mexican cuisine, and festive gatherings. It serves as a time to honor Mexican history and culture, both in Mexico and around the world.

With a large percentage of Regis students being Latin American and having a Mexican background, Cinco de Mayo means more than just a celebration to the youth at school. Students around campus participated in events like finger painting, dancing, and even Spanish heritage Kahoot games.

Cinco de Mayo can be celebrated in various ways outside of RJ as well, reflecting the diverse cultural traditions associated with the holiday.

Happy Cinco de Mayo illustrated in red and green

Festivities include parades featuring vibrant floats, traditional music, and lively dance performances. People gather for parties with colorful decorations and flags. Mexican cuisine takes center stage, with traditional dishes like tacos, enchiladas, and guacamole being enjoyed alongside refreshing beverages like Agua Frescas. Communities organize cultural events and educational activities to promote understanding and appreciation of Mexican heritage. Some people participate in historical reenactments or attend concerts showcasing Mexican music genres such as mariachi.

Various finger paintings and a llama illustration

Overall, Cinco de Mayo offers a wide range of celebratory avenues that highlight the richness of Mexican culture. Regardless if you are Mexican or not, Cinco de Mayo can be a remarkable way to learn about mexican culture, and have some fun along the way.

Credit: Regis Jesuit’s Jaden Aweida and Clay Dickey May 5, 2023