The Next Generation of Regis Jesuit Students

The Shadow Day is one of the most important days in a perspective student’s application process, often being the key factor in whether they come to Regis Jesuit.

Shadow students, we see them all the time and overlook how important they actually are to the Regis Jesuit community. The shadow program at Regis Jesuit is an integral part of the community here at RJ. It is perhaps the most important time in a perspective student’s decision to come to Regis Jesuit. From mid-September to early December, the shadows get to experience what Regis Jesuit really is and just watch how a real day here unfolds.

Mrs. Alivian Jorgensen runs the shadow program at Regis Jesuit, and knows just how important it is to the perspective students and their families. “It’s one of the most important days as far as their descision,” she said. The hosts must do a good job in order to keep the interest in Regis Jesuit inside them. “Usually,a great shadow day results in a completed application, whereas a bad shadow day, in most cases, does not.”

Current students have also shadowed and know how important that day was that they shadowed. Gavin Will, a freshman said, “Shadowing helped me see how Regis really is, and what a welcoming community it is.” John Drosdick, also a freshman, said, “It was very important on persuading me to come to Regis because all the freshmen at the time made me feel like I was one of them.”

The shadow day also helps perspective students get to know some people here, and that way they might have a few friends if they decide to attend Regis Jesuit. Mrs. Jorgensen said, “I think it’s importance is that we get an idea of the students interested in our school.” It also gives shadow hosts a chance to represent our school in the most prestigious way. “It’s also important because the hosts get a chance to represent our school, because the majority of students base their descision on a shadow day,” she said.

So, even though it may not seem like it, the shadow program is perhaps the most important part of our admissions program here at Regis Jesuit. Perspective students who have no siblings going here  get to experience a day at Regis Jesuit, and most responses are overwhelmingly positive. “About 450,” students shadow every year, and, “around 400 students applied, and I expect that number to be nearly the same next year,” Mrs. Jorgensen said. So as the number of students who apply increases, the shadow program will become even more important over the next few years.

So, whenever you see a shadow in the hall, say hi, and introduce yourself! You may just have a big impact on whether he or she decides to attend Regis Jesuit.