Hangtime: Regis Jesuit Womens Volleyball En Route To Success

Tony Ward

Mary Raitt ’16 goes up for an outside hit and kill capturing the essence of this seasons motto: “#Hangtime”.

Aly Doyle ’15 & Jillian Desmond ’15

August 28, 2013

The Regis Jesuit Women’s  5A Varsity Volleyball team’s preseason began July 14th with the annual Cherry Creek Tournament at Cherry Creek High School.

The Raiders placed 3rd overall at the Cherry Creek Tournament – a vast improvement upon the previous year’s results at the same tournament, at which they did not manage to place.

Regis Jesuit also attended the University of Northern Colorado volleyball tournament in Greely where the girls placed 3rd  in Division One, below Arapahoe High School, who placed 2nd, and Cherokee Trial High School, who placed 1st overall.  This tournament was a major improvement for the team from the 2012 season, when they placed 8th. The RJ Varsity Volleyball team, after losing only two seniors from the 2012 season, has high hopes for success this year, as they have already established familiarity with each other’s style of play and competitive natures.

The season looks promising for the Raiders, as each player has made vast improvements in their play during the club season, which follows CHSAA season and ends shortly before the school year begins. Kelly Schmitt ’15 and Jillian Desmond ’15 are both making strong comebacks after volleyball-related injuries in January and February. Jillian is back to full play on Varsity this year, still working on improvements with JV court time after 6 months off court, and Kelly is gradually working back into the basics after her ACL injury.

The Raiders will have their first regular season games starting on August 30th at the Regis Jesuit Jam, hosted by Regis Jesuit’s volleyball program at Gold Crown Center Field House, and will go through August 31st. The team’s first home game will be September 6th against Lakewood High School at 6:30pm in the Boys Division gym at Regis Jesuit High School.