The Comeback Kid: The Jesuit teacher that just can’t get enough of Regis Jesuit

In ’07 after graduating, Mr. Ptolemy decided to come back to join the Regis Jesuit community for more.

Eric Ptolyemy in 07′ looking happy as ever when graduating Regis Jesuit

Eric Ptolemy, ’07 Regis Jesuit alumni, attended Sagewood Middle School in Parker, Colorado and then decided to follow in his older brother’s path and be a part of the freshman class at Regis Jesuit. 2105 is Eric’s first year teaching at Regis Jesuit. He is currently teaching freshman theology.

“When I left Gonzaga, I started to wonder if I was really called to come back to Regis.” Mr. Ptolemy said. He always had an idea that he wanted to come and teach, but it wasn’t until he left Gonzaga, that he made his mind up.

Eric Ptolemy loves the Jesuit education and has been in it for a big part of his life.

“I’ve been involved with Jesuit education now since 2003 as student and as a teacher. Ever since high school, I think I’ve had it in my head I wanted to come back and teach at Regis. It was such a formative time for me as a student and I saw the growth in myself and I knew I wanted to give that back and to be a part of it.” Said Mr. Ptolemy. “I think it was really the foundation that I needed to grow and head out into the world.”

He explained his thoughts that the teachers at Regis Jesuit are all committed to what the school is trying to accomplish and the students benefit from that. “It is a unique environment,” he said. He shared his belief that the fact Regis is all boys allows the students to be more vulnerable and open up more.

Immediately following his graduation at Gonzaga he began teaching in Spokane. “I was in a Jesuit school there and was really happy and started to wonder if this is where I was called. So it was kind of up and down.” Mr. Ptolemy said.

Although he spent time at Sagewood for middle school, Eric’s never been to a public high school. Eric reflected on what he believes is the important difference between a public school and Jesuit experience. In regards to teacher commitment, he said, “I don’t think that’s something you can’t find in a public school, but I think we have an opportunity to reach our students at a deeper level because of our theology classes, because of our retreats and because of the faith aspect of the school and its’ commitment to social justice.” Said Mr. Ptolemy.

Eric Ptolemy finally added that “Regis is an incredible place. I’m lucky to be back teaching here. I think it was really the foundation that I needed to grow and head out into the world. I think without my Regis foundation I think I’d probably be in a different place.”