World Cup Fenoglio

Fellow Regis Jesuit High School Alums, Zach Fenoglio and Dr. Matt Schmitz pose for this post game shot.

When Zach Fenoglio first started playing rugby in 2005, he never knew he would be starting for USA World Cup Team.

Regis Jesuit Chemistry teacher, Fengolio never settled with his everyday life of teaching, coaching, and playing professional rugby. He wanted more.

So he set out to improve his game and began to a play on a new level. He played the best rugby he has in his lifetime for the USA Eagles, the development national team.

His efforts didn’t go unnoticed. Zach Fenoglio was selected to play for the full national team.

He would receive the opportunity to play for his country in the World Cup.

“I never thought I would be this fortunate to achieve what I have in Rugby.”

As the starting hooker, Fenoglio played his first World Cup game in an unfortunate loss against Samoa, in Japan.
Fenoglio, like many other players, attended a Jesuit HS and College. “It naturally fits the brotherhood aspect(…)and many of the same values and traditions can be found in both.”

RJMEDIA: Why do Jesuit HS and College alums have such a high representation in International Rugby?

Zach Fenoglio:Jesuit HS all across the country have great rugby traditions. I’m not too sure why the high schools all across the country have accepted the sport so well, but I do think it naturally fits in with the brotherhood aspect you find at an all boys Jesuit school and many of the same values and traditions can be found in both areas.

RJMEDIA: How and when were you introduced to Rugby?

Zach Fenoglio:I was introduced to rugby in HS at RJ my sophomore year. A number of my friends played their freshman year and encouraged me to come out and play sophomore year

RJMEDIA: Did you ever think that you would be playing at this level? Was there a moment where you discovered you had what it takes?

Zach Fenoglio: I never thought I would have been so fortunate to achieve what I have in rugby. I was fortunate to get on some select sides in HS and that led to invites to junior national team camps. I’ve followed the pipeline all along from the junior national team to collegiate all Americans to the national developmental team and now finally to the full national team. Each one has been a blessing and a gift along the way.
RJMEDIA: What do you see for the future of this sport?

Zach Fenoglio: I think it is continuing to grow and flourish not only in the states but also throughout the world. It’s still a relatively young sport in the professional world, only going fully pro less than 20 years ago, so there is still so much room to grow. And now that there are continued growing concerns with concussions and head injuries in football I think rugby will continue to gain exposure and growth.

RJMEDIA: How do you see your self involved in the growth of Rugby, the fastest growing sport in America?

Zach Fenoglio: One of my best friends I’ve made through playing rugby on the national team, Shawn Pittman, once told me that the knowledge we’ve been fortunate to receive is only as valuable as who we pass it on to. I’ve really made it my goal to pass my experiences and knowledge on to as many as I can to help pass on a sport that has been so good to me.

RJMEDIA: What are some emotional experiences you endured as a USA Rugby Player? What are a few challenges you had to overcome? Or have yet to overcome?

Zach Fenoglio: On both sides of emotional experiences, the biggest obstacle to overcome was definitely when I was dropped from the national team and was looking to be on the outside looking in for the World Cup selection. I wasn’t picked for 3 national team camps and it was definitely a hard time for my career but I was fortunate to keep working hard and take advantage of my opportunities when they presented themselves. By far the most emotional or highest honor has definitely been receiving the official word that I had made the USA World Cup team.

RJMEDIA: What are some of the best moments you’ve had as a USA Rugby player?

Zach Fenoglio: Receiving my first cap and first test win against Russia, playing the NZ Maori all blacks in Philadelphia with the U.S. Fans chanting USA during the haka have definitely been some high notes.

RJMEDIA: What was the hardest part of your journey to getting where you are now?

Zach Fenoglio: Balancing the amateur lifestyle of having to work full time and still find enough time to get my proper training in.

RJMEDIA: Take me through the moment or the day you found out made team? was that like?
Zach Fenoglio: It definitely was surreal when coach Tolkin brought us all into the meeting room and announced the World Cup squad. It definitely was crazy to see something I had set my heart on 5 years ago come to fruition.

RJMEDIA: What’s it like to be famous?

Zach Fenoglio: Haha I hardly can say I am famous but having a verified insta account definetly is pretty sweet.

RJMEDIA: How does it feel to be playing with and against the highest competition in the world? What does it mean to represent USA?

Zach Fenoglio: There is no greater honor, in my mind, to get to represent your country at any time. I have so many people I’ve been blessed to have in my life and support me along the way. To represent and honor them with wearing the USA jersey is truly something special.